Family Day was Monday, but that doesn't mean that family things need to end there. Here are tips to keep everyone safe online and tech activities to do.
Hopefully for this Family Day long weekend, you were able to spend quality time with your family. That doesn't mean that you can't keep doing family things this week (or all the time).
In this post, we want to share some tips to stay secure for families and some cool tech things you can do together.
Tech Tips for Families
- Educate your kids
- Remind kids why their identity is important
- Know that private might not mean private
- Watch for phishing scams
- Use a password management system
- Keep social networks secure
- Understand the importance of backing up data
- Realize that cyber security is constantly changing
- Don't share more information than necessary
- Identify other vulnerabilities in your home
- Go private on Wi-Fi that is in public
- Don't forget connected devices
- Close accounts that are unused
- When in doubt, call support
- Use a trustworthy security suite to protect all devices
- Keep all software current
- When available, turn on privacy and security settings
- Be a good online citizen
Fun Family Tech Activities
- Stroll around Waterloo Region Museum for exhibit on the history of the region (ex, RIM) - Kitchener
- Personal Computer Museum - Brantford
- Look around The Museum (Animation Studio, ALARM) - Kitchener
- Do an escape room - Kitchener
- Step back in time with early technology advancements at the Waterloo Central Railway - St. Jacobs
- Virtual Reality - Cambridge/Waterloo
- High Tech Scavenger Hunts - Toronto
- Geocaching - Local Area
We have reached the end of the post. Hopefully these tips will help you out at home with your family and that you have found some new family activities to try out. If you have any comments or questions, use the section below.
Looking to learn more ways to stay secure? Download our security awareness kit.
Horicon Bank. (2019) 6 Cyber Security Tips for Parents. Retrieved February 18, 2020 from https://www.horiconbank.com/6-cyber-security-tips-for-parents.html
Norton. (2019). Internet safety 101: 15 tips to keep your kids and family safe online. Retrieved February 18, 2020 from https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-kids-safety-stop-stressing-10-internet-safety-rules-to-help-keep-your-family-safe-online.html